April 16, 2012

Dairy Fever

It's nice when someone else catches the dairy fever, and you realize maybe it's contagious to be compelled to experiment with as many milk products as physically possible. It's like, we can, so we might as well!
I speak of my parents' visit this past weekend. As far as birthday presents go, their presence was a fantastic one.
Saturday brunch
I also have to quick brag on my husband, who started off my birthday with a massively impressive breakfast in bed. Blueberry-pecan pancakes, fresh kiwi, pistachio yogurt sauce, and chocolate raspberry coffee. That's right; be jealous, everyone. :)
Actually, everyone made my birthday great. I thought it might be hard to celebrate away from Ohio and people I know, but it was super special to get phone calls and cards and Facebookings. So thank you.
But back to the dairy explosion in the kitchen. Since Mom and Dad were only here for the weekend, we had to make the best of the time available. Meaning, when we got home from the MCC sale midafternoon on Saturday, we got to work. We made butter, Greek yogurt, ice cream (Jeni's recipe, with baked rhubarb, fresh from the garden! MMMM), ricotta cheese (seriously. we made that.), and creme brulee (I've told myself for years I'm going to make that--bam).
Sooo much fun, and I don't know if she's ever seen a kitchen that discombobulated. :)
I already blogged on making butter, so you have a good idea how to do it, although I have since learned you need to let it set for a few minutes after blending before separating.
I'll post later how to make Greek yogurt, but we can't overstimulate you by going into detail on everything, my dear readers.
The ice cream, what can I say? It's Jeni's. It's only fault is that once you eat it it's gone.
Every time I think about that ricotta cheese I get a little bit excited, too. Just take two quarts of milk, heat to 180 degrees, add 3 T vinegar and 1/2 t salt, let sit covered for 2 hours (the hardest part!), and little curds have magically formed. You can't see them underneath the whey until you dip your spoon in and scoop out the little treasures. Strain through a cheesecloth and you have seriously made what I fondly call ricottage cheese.
See? (You can't really see. But still.) It's awesome!
The creme brulee, I tell you, it's given the "fancy dessert" status not because of it's difficulty in creating but because of it's extreme deliciousness. We registered for our wedding for a bakeware set that included ramekins simply due to their connection with potential creme brulee, and with only this one usage, they're essentially worth it. Plus I got to use a flame torch (see I don't even know what to actually call it but that just sounds so cool) to toast the brown sugar topping.
We did all this while also making pizza and staying tuned to the tornado happenings in our non-immediate proximity. And then we ate ice cream and watched TinTin after playing the Bean Game. What more could you ask for??

6 comments:

  1. Man. That does all sound pretty swell! Funny you mention ricotta since I've got some in my fridge that I had bought for a particular recipe. Only used a third of it so now what?? My idea is to mix it with pesto, and throw it on a pizza crust with chicken, red onion, and spinach. Good or bad idea?? I'm glad you had a great birthday and stayed away from all the tornado stuff! I had no idea it went through Wichita 'til the next day, and naturally, I had to text my brother right away to make sure they really were okay. I assumed they were since I hadn't heard anything, of course. :) Shall I stop writing a book here in your comments?? Something tells me you won't mind. ;) It's great to see pics of your parents! I'm starting a mental countdown 'til they come home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to come back to say my pizza idea was AMAZING. :) Just got done eating it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to say, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your pizza idea, and everything very right! That sounds sooo delicious, I may have to try it in the very near future. I tried using some ricotta on top of fish fillets with tomato and onion slices, broiled/toaster-ovened because our oven broiler is defective. :)

      Delete
  3. Aw, I just read this blog and I feel loved:) Thanks, Amanda! It was sooo good to be with you and fun to make those things. And they were all so yummy - I would love to have another dip of that rhubarb ice cream...

    ReplyDelete
  4. THE BEAN GAME! I mean, great that you made amazing foods but -- THE BEAN GAME!!!

    I want to own it. Badly. Every time I enter a game store, I say to the clerk, "Um, excuse me. Hello. Do you have the bean game?" And they are always like, "What the heck is the bean game?"

    I am glad you enjoyed your parents' stay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some amazing dairy accomplishments! I am very impressed! I would have love to be there to try them...I'm glad you had fun with your mom!

    ReplyDelete